Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Set-Up

I had a long discussion with Katie yesterday to the tune of - why IM, why now? Why not set myself up for something with a more plausible chance of success?

While a small part of me recognizes that as a smart strategy, I'm not inclined to spend much time on the thought. I'd already considered the safer, more realistic options - a spring marathon, a fast Olympic, a solid 70.3, but none were inspiring to me. They certainly seem exciting as I'm still trapped in this duplex condo of a body, but in terms of really moving me...nothing came close.

Looking at my fears and worries for 2010 and comparing them to those I faced two years ago I realized something important. I have the luxury of knowing at least one of the curveballs that's about to be thrown at me. Part of the challenge of setting such long-term, large goals is accepting the surprises that life throws your way. A friend of mine's roommate died on their couch a little more than a month from this year's race. How did that affect her ability to train and race effectively? Had she seen it coming, would she not have signed up in the first place? What about losing your job mid-season? Getting injured? Sure, these are all things that can derail your plan to make it to the start line and achieve the goals you set for yourself, but to not set them because something MIGHT happen? That, to me, seems cowardly.

Could I be setting mysef up for failure? Yes, I suppose so. But to not even make the attempt, based only on the fear of the unknown would have been a much bigger failure for me.

In the meantime, we're totally immersed in the waiting game. I feel like a kid on a car trip -

Are we there yet?

No.

Are we there yet?

No.

Argh. Let's get this show on the road kid!

1 comment:

  1. You will be shocked to find out how quickly your fitness will return after your baby is born. :) I'm 9 months out, and am faster than I've ever been. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete