Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's All in the Timing

No baby yet.

Pretty much every conversation, phone call and email these days starts with that fact. (Though, frankly I would often like to point out the obvious...)

"OH! Were we supposed to TELL you when the baby gets here!?!?"

I'm kidding. (Mostly!)

41 weeks today and I have to say, I'm really grateful for everyone's patience. Maybe they're all just scared I'm going to lose my sh-- and eat them whole. For those of you who have been here before, you know that there are moments when you think you might explode in some cosmic pregnancy accident - that maybe the baby will just kick you in the ribs one more time and that will be all...BOOM. And you will have been the first ever to give birth by combustion and aside from the mess, it wasn't so bad!

Really most of the waiting is fine. It seems time oozes by with the speed of a boring day at work - punctuated by meals and maybe a trip to the drugstore. Watching the clock trickle minutes of your life away, but not really caring. You'll never get them back, but really it won't be until much later in life that you'd want them back anyway... (Okay, okay - more likely I'll be wanting these lazy afternoons back in just a few weeks!!!)

Speaking of work....I've been watching the story of the sinking ship that is my old company on the news all day. (Thanks, Anne.) It appears that I jumped ship just in time. I can't imagine what it would have been like to watch the drama unfold and planning to return after the baby is born. I'm wondering if the group of women who left around the time that I did had some sort of intuition. I don't miss that feeling of looking around wondering who will be left when the axe falls.


And with that, another hour oozes by and still NO BABY. If this little person has good timing, today would be an ideal day to arrive. The apartment is clean, my mom gets into town tonight and my midwife is at the hospital at this very moment.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment