Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Baby Brick


















Hooray, hooray! Finally a post related to triathlon. Okay, so LOOSELY related, but Mama will take what she can get at this point.

Yesterday I started down The Long Road Back.

Rick and I loaded up Riley and some beach chairs and headed to Long Beach in Sag Harbor for a family workout. Rick hasn't been swimming much and has two upcoming races (including a half, which he keeps threatening to bail on) so we figured a nice open water swim was in order.

Long Beach is aptly named - a long stretch of sand on Noyac Bay that plays host to one of our favorite late season races, Mighty Hamptons. Rick swam first and I took Riley on our first real 'workout' together. It felt great to get sweaty and get my heartrate up. I may have even sneaked in a few spurts of running WHICH. FELT. AWESOME.

At my 2 week post-op check-up I begged to get clearance for running, but it was still out of the question. As much as I wish I could ignore the doctor, he's been very progressive so far (his exact words in the recovery room were "Get up tomorrow and pretend you didn't have surgery") and has given me clearance for any other type of excercise, SO I am being good and listening. I have to think long term here, so being safe is priority numero uno.

Riley was sound asleep in the stroller, the weather was GORGEOUS (75 and not a cloud in the sky) and off to my left, I could see Rick swimming. A perfect welcome back. My legs feel surprisingly strong (even while running) and I have no pain around my incision. I was thrilled!

Back at the 'transition area' (read: Jeep), I fed the little man a bottle while Rick dried off. A quick baby handoff and it was my turn to swim. I marched down to the water in my ill fitting speedo and two week post-baby body thinking how someday I'd look back on the moment and laugh. My strokes felt easy and smooth and my heart was singing with each breath, as I looked up into the brilliant blue sky.

I hit my turnaround and took a minute to watch the boys hanging out in the shade of the car- does it get any better?

We ended the day with a celebratory beer and seafood at an outdoor restaurant on the water in town. Yes, friends, life is good.

Life. Is. Good.


1 comment: