Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just do it.

The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation.
JUST DO IT.
Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation.And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes & makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.
~John C. Maxwell


Because it isn't usually the miles that are hard. It's the showing up. Getting out of bed. Getting into the pool. Pumping the tires on the bike. Really, folks - these are the hardest parts of Ironman training. Throw in having to peel myself away from the freaking cutest little munchkin and well...I need to heed Nike's advice and just DO it.

Actually this week was was off to a great start. Our Tuesday night run was 600's on the Reservoir path. I started the workout with a growling stomach (I *cannot* figure out the nutrition needs of training + nursing at ALL!) but somehow managed to bang out what felt like strong, steady efforts. (I'm still not timing anything, just going on feel.) I didn't stick around for the strength work after because I was about to fall over. I drank the whole Gatorade standing on the drink aisle of the drug store before I could make it to the register to pay. Trashy, right?

We're still focusing mainly on technique and pacing in the pool but by some stroke of fate, I wound up swimming in the FAST lane with the DUDES and managed not to get plowed over. It was such a victory. (Though, I'm pretty sure some NYC triathlete dude went home and blogged about the fat, slow girl clogging up the pool.)

My time trial ride turned into a trainer session (I forgot how much I hate trainer sessions) but hey, I did it so that counts for something in my book.

My weekend did not start off as I had planned - a little low key dinner with friends turned into a 2am rager (damn that wine club) and this morning's brick became an 11 am wake-up and a 1:00 nap. Yes, you read that right. I have a 15 week old and I got to sleep until 11am. Breakfast for Riley at 7 and then back to sleep. I love that kid. He's got his priorities straight.

So, internet. I have a date with 9W tomorrow morning.

Maybe I'll punish myself with some River Road running. Did I say punish? I meant REWARD. Reward myself with running, because I can.

JUST DO IT.

Thanks, Nike.

No comments:

Post a Comment